Discord is an amazing application providing free services like voice message, video chatting, text messaging. It is popular among online gamers because it allows communication between online players while gaming. Many people use discord to connect while they play games with their friends. Discord can run on many operating systems like Windows, Android, iOS, Linux, macOS, and other web browsers. Besides online gaming, discord also lets you connect friends and family, online classes. It allows you to join communities like Art community, music club, and many more. Discord does face some problems like discord won’t open error.
With the constant updates by the discord’s developer team, many major issues have been fixed. However, discord not opening error is still commonly seen, which troubles the users and needs to fix soon. If you use discord and have come across discord won’t open error, then you have landed on the right article! Since the core reason for this issue is still unknown, no one has been able to rectify it completely yet. However, there still are some ways to solve the discord won’t open error.
Possible Reasons for Discord Won’t Open Error
There might be multiple reasons for discord to show discord won’t open error. It could be the discord itself or our systems. Here are some possible reasons.
- If your discord app is outdated.
- The time and date are not correct.
- If the previous session was not properly closed.
- Presence of corrupted Windows system files.
- Systems app data files may have some issues.
- If some other running programs block discord.
- Missing or damaged missing files.
Four Ways to Fix Discord Won’t Open Error
Before trying out these methods listed below, try logging in to your discord account from the web version and accurately set your time and date in the system. These are some very easy and common ways one can do to access discord without the discord won’t open error.
Clear The AppData And LocalData
The cache memory stored in the AppData folder on your system may be full and lacks storage, due to which the necessary cache data to run discord cannot find a location to store the discord files. So, clearing the AppData folder will help run discord. To do so, here are simple steps that one has to follow in a windows operating system.
- Open the run utility (press windows+R)
- Type “%appdata%” and click the OK button. It will take redirect to the AppData folder in the system.
- Find the Discord folder and delete it by right-clicking.
- Restart the system and check if the issue is fixed or not.
- If it is still not fixed, repeat the step but this time, enter “%localappdata%” instead of “%appdata%.”
Hopefully, this works. Otherwise, there are other methods of ways one can try to fix the discord won’t open.
Run System File Checker (SFC) Scan
SFC scan is a tool in most versions of windows. It is the best way to repair the corrupted files and other related issues. To run this scan, one needs to follow these steps:
- Go to the run utility (press windows+R)
- Type “cmd” command and press ctrl + shift + enter keys to launch the command prompt.
- Click yes to allow you to make changes in your system.
- Once in the command prompt, enter the command “sfc/scannow.”
- Now, the SFC scan will start scanning and repairing all the corrupted files. Do not shut down the computer or close the command prompt.
- Restart your system once the scan is over. Check if Discord not opening error fixes or not.
End Discord In The Task Manager
Ending the discord process in the task manager and re-launching discord may help fix the issue. Sometimes in the background, discord may run and not open on the desktop. To end the discord, these are the following steps to follow.
- Open the task manager by right-clicking anywhere on the taskbar.
- Click on the more details button.
- Now, click on the end task button.
- Try reopening discord.
Open Discord From The Install Location
Sometimes, opening discord from the install location help some people properly open the discord without the error. follow these simple steps to open
- Go to the file explorer.
- Find the folder Discord in the location “c:\ProgramData\%user%\Discord” (replace user with your local account username)
- Open discord.exe file or right-click to select “run as administrator” to launch the application.
See also: How to fix Microsoft word not responding
Close Background Applications
Close all the unnecessary applications running in the background and launch discord again. There might be a program interfering with discord’s process, so closing them might help avoid the error. Below are the steps to close background applications:
- Open setting application (press windows + I) or the select gear icon.
- Go to the privacy tab
- Go to background apps.
- Toggle off right below the “let apps run in the background.”
- Restart the system to check if discord is showing discord won’t open error.
I hope all of these methods are enough to fix the discord won’t open error. If none of this works, the last option will be to uninstall discord and reinstall it manually or update the discord application.