Windows Live Mail was a nifty freeware software that was designed to be made compatible with Windows 7. However, the software also works with Windows 8 and Windows 10. It comes in-built and is used by several individuals, generally for work-related purposes. Now, ever since Windows users have upgraded to Windows 10, they’ve been facing windows live mail problems. Basically, their windows live mail won’t open any longer, causing a slowdown in the completion of their daily tasks. Now, this issue has become quite frustrating for several users who are largely dependent on this software. There is always an option to check your mail directly; however, it can get somewhat tedious after a point in time. Therefore, if you’ve been facing this issue, then you’ve certainly ended up in the right place.
Find ways to fix ‘Application Was Unable To Start Correctly (0xc0000142)’ Error
Reasons for ‘Windows Live Mail Won’t Open’ Error
Before we jump right into the solutions, one should know of the potential reason for why windows live mail won’t open. The most plausible reason that has been pinpointed is that the graphics card driver seems to conflict with windows 10.
Often popups like Application Blocked Accessing Graphics Hardware show up while playing Games. So if you’re facing ‘the windows live mail not responding windows 10’ error, this could be the reason. A corrupted cache can also be the root cause of the issue.
Fix ‘Windows Live Mail Won’t Open’ error
Now that we have covered potential reasons for the error let’s take a look at the solutions. So without further ado, Here is how to fix windows live mail 7 different working ways.
Ending wlmail.exe and restarting the program
This solution has assisted quite a few people in resolving the windows live mail won’t open error. Therefore, to end wlmail.exe, commence as follows.
- Open up your device’s Task Manager by using the shortcut Ctrl+Shift+Esc
- Next, scroll down to find wlmail.exe. Once you find it, right-click on it and proceed to click ‘End Task.’
- Finally, restart the windows live mail program.
Now, check if your problem has been rectified. If not, read on.
Deleting the cache
As iterated before, a corrupt cache could also be the cause when windows live mail is not working. To delete the cache, perform the next set of steps.
- Use shortcut ‘Windows’ + R to open up the Run box.
- Next, input the command ‘%localappdata%’ and select ‘Enter.’
- On the inside of the local folder, double click on Microsoft.
- Now, double-click windows live for the purpose of opening it.
- Scroll down to search for the .cache folder.
- Upon finding it, right-click, then hit ‘delete.’
- Once done, empty your recycle bin and try once again to access windows live mail.
Repairing windows essentials
Our next solution to fixing the windows live mail won’t open error is to repair the windows essentials. To do so, commence as follows.
- Use shortcut Windows+X, then select Control Panel.
- Now, pick ‘Uninstall a program.’
- Scroll down to find Windows Essentials
- Next, right-click on it and select ‘Change/Uninstall.
- A repair option will be given to you at this point. Please make sure to select it. Follow any on-screen instructions afterward.
- Once finished, shut all programs, reboot your PC, and try accessing windows live mail once again.
Running Windows in compatibility mode
To run Windows in compatibility mode, follow the next set of steps.
- Find the folder- “C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Mail”
- Find the folder ‘wlmail.exe.’ Proceed to right-click on it and select Properties.
- Go to the ‘Compatibility’ tab.
- Do not forget to select the checkbox ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for.’ Under this option, please select Windows 7
- Select ‘Apply’ and finally, select ‘OK.’
- Once done, reboot your PC to save any changes.
Disabling your antivirus
Antiviruses have a tendency to block the usage of other applications, including Windows Live Mail. Firstly, ensure that the software is in the list of exceptions of your antivirus. Next, try disabling your antivirus if Windows Live Mail hasn’t been blocked by it.
This error arises due to the fact that certain antiviruses just aren’t built to be compatible with older programs like windows live mail. Therefore, disable your antivirus to see if it fixes the error.
Restoring your PC to an earlier working time
- To start off, open up the Run box by using the shortcut ‘Windows’ + R
- Input’ sysdm.cpl’ into the box and hit ‘Enter.’
- Go to the System Protection ab and pick System Restore.
- Select your preferred System Restore Point
- Follow all onscreen instructions at this point.
- Finish by rebooting your PC. Check to see if the error has been resolved.
Finally, if nothing seems to solve the ‘windows live mail won’t open windows 7, 8 & 10 error’, switch to third party clients. You are bound to find various other email clients that can function much better than Windows Live Mail. Please note that the Windows Live Mail service has been discontinued. Therefore, there is no guarantee of its unlimited use in the following years. It is, therefore, in your best interest to look for a third-party email client.
So here are our top 7 working solutions to fix the windows live mail won’t open error. The solutions listed here have worked for most users. However, it is worth mentioning again that switching to a third-party software might be your best bet if the error continues to persist. However, if you wish to continue using Windows Live Mail, you can also try looking for more solutions on the Microsoft forums. Moreover, if you face errors pertaining to the D3D device in the form of ‘failed to create D3D device’, click here.