When you use an application, you might encounter an error with code 0xc0000142. This might be due to some corrupt files, or the file you’re working on must need an update or is infected by a computer virus, or there are some missing DLL files. Today, we’ll guide you on how to fix this error.
When you get this error, it comes with the following message – “The Application was unable to start correctly, (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application”. Below, we provide you some fixes for this error. If you follow all the steps carefully, you will get rid of this error and resolve the issue in no time.
Error 0xc0000142 : Ways To Fix
Below are some methods listed to fix this issue.
Check For Program Updates
Most of the time, this error is caused by an outdated version of the program that you’re using. Giving you the error the application was unable to start correctly 0xc0000142. To fix this, look for updates for your program online. See if there’s an update pending because most of the applications these days have an auto-updater. For example, if you’re using Outlook (a popular emailing client used for businesses) and you get the outlook error 0xc0000142, check the Microsoft Office website for its update or 0x8000ffff error while updating windows. Also, check if there’s a new Windows update out by going to the Update section in Windows Settings.
If there’s an update available, update your Windows and reboot your device to resolve the issue. If not, we’ve got plenty of fixes below.
Contrary to our first fix, this is about uninstalling updates. Sometimes, the latest update of a specific program isn’t compatible with your version of Windows OS. If this is the case, then we recommend you to reinstall the latest updates and restore the program to its previous working version. This will enable you to use the program for some time until you figure out the problem that the update is causing. But, if you don’t want to uninstall the updates just yet, we have an alternative fix for it below.
Run The Program In Windows Compatibility Mode
If the specific update of the program is causing you trouble because it’s not compatible with your respective version of Windows Update, then you can use Windows Compatibility mode to make that program run just as it would in the previous version of the Windows. Sounds somewhat harsh, right? Trust me. It’s not! Just do the following steps, and you’ll get rid of the error application was unable to start correctly 0xc0000142 in no time.
- Perform a right-click on the program and select its properties.
- Look for Compatibility and press on it to open the Compatibility tab.
- There would be a Run this program in compatibility mode checkbox. Click on it, and then in the below drop-down menu, select the version of Windows you would want to run it with.
- Click OK to apply the changes.
If you’ve done all the steps right, you will be able to run your program with the previous version of Windows. You’ll have no problem running the program, and thus getting rid of the error, the application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142).
Update Your Graphics Drivers
Rarely, the cause of the application being unable to start correctly 0xc0000142 is due to outdated graphics drivers or the drivers not correctly installed. Fixing this is easy. Do the following steps-
- Search for “Device Manager” in the Search Bar and click on the result.
- Search for “Display Adapters” and click on it to see your Graphics Card driver.
- Your Graphics Card driver name will pop out (Remember the name. It might prove to be useful for future work). Right-click on it and press uninstall.
- Reboot your device.
You can also use the following links to install the latest updates if you’re using the specific graphic card –
- Intel – https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/80939/Graphics
- AMD – https://www.amd.com/en/support
- Nvidia – https://www.nvidia.in/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-in
Make sure that you only install the drivers specific to your Graphics Card and not any other. If you’re having some problem with it, you can also try auto-updating your Graphics Card drivers from trusted third party application software. Try rerunning your game. If the issue “The application was unable to start correctly 0xc0000142” persists, try the below fixes.
Check Registry Settings
Sometimes some DLL files or the Dynamic-Link Library files must be messing up with the program, and causing the error of the application was unable to start correctly 0xc0000142. We have to make a minor tweak in the Windows Registry Editor, so follow the steps very carefully.
- Open Windows Registry Editor
- Search for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
- After searching that, navigate as follows – \SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\
- When you’ve arrived at the Windows directory, on the right side, look for and perform a double click on it – and change its value to 0 and press OK.
- Reboot your system.
Scan Your System For Viruses & Malware
The least likely option is for the error “the application was unable to start correctly 0xc0000142”. Check for viruses and perform a full-time scan a boot-time scan, and the issue with the error code 0xc0000142 will get resolved.
These were the solutions we came up with to solve “the application was unable to start correctly 0xc0000142” If you’ve carefully tried our tested solutions, then you would get rid of this error in no time.
We are looking forward your much valued feedback. Let us know how useful this article has been to you.
See also: Failed to Create D3D Device